Your Questions Answered - F.A.Q’s

Q. What types of survey are there?

A. We do three types:-

The Homebuyers Survey is our basic survey and is for properties that were built after 1980.

The Building Survey (used to be called the Structural Survey) is far more detailed and explains the construction type of each element, provides explanation of defects and how to remedy them, uses thermal imagery and pole cameras and provides estimated costs for works. This is ideal for any property built before 1980 and properties after 1980 that have been extended or altered.

The Building and Services Survey is our most in-depth survey. It is the Building Survey PLUS a full electrical safety check PLUS a full gas safety check PLUS a sewer inspection with a drain camera (if accessible). It gives the buyer total peace of mind and highlights possible expensive defects prior to purchase.

Q. What are the timescales?

A. Once instructed we arrange to carry out the survey within 5 working days (depending on vendor access). Once the survey has been carried out the report will be with you, and your conveyancer, within 3 days. I then schedule a telephone call so that I can go over any questions that you may have.

Q. Can I attend the survey?

A. You are more than welcome to come along if the seller is ok with this. I obviously have a job to do however we can have some time for questions/concerns and it may help with the understanding of the survey.

Q. What is the difference between your survey and others?

A. Our surveys are very detailed and in our Building Survey we us thermal imagery, a hygrometer and salt analysis for determining cause and type of damp. We use a 9m pole camera to view the roofs, we check the water flow rate, we use boroscopes and laser levels on floors. We check the boundary against the Land Registry Plan and highlight any anomalies.

Q. Do you check the gas and electrics?

A. We take a fully qualified electrical engineer and gas safe engineer on our Building and Services Survey. The carry out a full safety check on the electrical system and any gas appliances such as boiler, gas fire, cooker etc. You then get a report and a detailed quote of any works needed. This may help you re-negotiate the price of the house.

Q. What works require a Party Wall Surveyor?

A. Works such as extensions, chimney removal, loft conversions and new builds are likely to come under the Party Wall Etc Act 1996. We offer a free, no obligation, consultation to check if the Act applies. Please feel free to contact us.

Call us on 01302 797 987 if your question is not answered here or contact us online.